Beta/testing versions of iOS, iPadOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS are available to members of the Apple Developer Program. Members can develop apps that take advantage of the latest features of Apple platforms and test existing apps for compatibility.
It includes previews and seeds, refers to a version of software that’s still under development and not yet released to the public. This software is intended only for installation on development devices registered under your Apple Developer Program membership. Registered development devices can be upgraded to future beta releases and the public version of the software. Attempting to install beta software in an unauthorized manner violates Apple policy and could render your device unusable and necessitate an out-of-warranty repair. Make sure to back up your devices before installing beta software and install only on devices and systems that you’re prepared to erase if necessary.
iOS and iPadOS beta software
Installation using the configuration profile
- Download the configuration profile from the download page.On your device: Download the configuration profile directly onto your device and follow the installation instructions.On your Mac or PC: Save the file to your hard disk and email it to an account on your iPhone. Tap the configuration profile in Mail and follow the installation instructions.
- Connect your device to a power cord and connect to Wi-Fi.
- Tap Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap “Download and Install”.
- To update now, tap Install. Or tap Later and choose Install Tonight or Remind Me Later. If you tap Install Tonight, connect your device to a power cord at night and your device will update automatically by morning.
- If prompted, enter your passcode.
Installation using the restore image
- Download the beta software restore image for your device from the download page.
- Open the Finder on your Mac.
- Connect your device to your computer with the cable that came with your device.
- If you’re prompted for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. If you forget your passcode, help is available.
- Select your device when it appears in the Finder sidebar.
- In the Summary panel, hold the Option key and click the “Check for Update” button.
- Select the beta software restore image and click Open to start the installation.
- After installing the beta, your device will reboot and will require a network connection to complete activation. Make sure to enable Developer Mode on your device. This will let you grant permission to run locally-installed apps on these platforms — for example, when you perform a build-and-run in Xcode or install an .ipa file with Apple Configurator.